STRUCTURAL DIAGNOSTICS FACILITIES
SDI operates from a 35,000 sq ft business park unit in Camarillo, California. In addition to sales, design, and administration offices, the SDI facility houses a large-scale manufacturing facility and machine shop and a fully equipped applications laboratory.
SDI is a leading manufacturer of automated ultrasonic inspection systems. It was formed in 1994 by a group of NDT engineers who had been manufacturing automated UT systems for over thirty years, formerly as Staveley Aerospace Systems, Qualcorp, and Automation Industries.
All aspects of product design and manufacturing are carried out in house. In addition to the UT systems, SDI manufactures a range of specialized UT instrumentation and motion control products.
SDI has an installed user base of over 300 of its 5000 Series immersion tanks with numerous users purchasing several systems. The SDI-5000 series are precision ultrasonic immersion inspection systems used in facilities ranging from colleges and laboratories to harsh industrial environments.
- Applications Laboratory: SDI have a fully equipped applications laboratory for technique and equipment development. SDI’s level 3 staff carry out a range of feasability studies, customer trials and small batch testing. In house training courses are also carried out on parts supplied by customers.
- Electrical Assembly: System electrical assembly and prototype board manufacture are carried out in SDI’s production department. Higher volume boards are stuffed in house and taken to an adjacent facility for flow soldering.
- Machine Shop: SDI’s fully equipped machine shop is staffed by highly skilled machinists with extensive experience in working to the exacting tolerances required for NDT system components. Equipment includes heavy duty mills and lathes capable of machining 36 in. diameter 1 in. thick stainless steel turntable face plates.
- Fabrication: SDI’s extensive fabrication department is equipped with state of the art heavy duty MIG and TIG welding plant. All welded construction is used to produce rugged industrial tanks ranging form the SDI-5115 bench top to the huge SDI-5440 dual bridge system. The latter consists of a steel frame, fabricated from 8 in. sq section with 1/4 in. wall thickness, supporting 3/16 stainless steel tank walls. The tank has a scan envelope measuring 20 ft. x 10 ft. x 8 ft.
- Software Development: Motion control and acquisition software is developed using the latest Windows operating system. The software is extensively tested on our applications systems before being release to a number of local beta test sites.